Sensational Triple Leadership Nomination for MD Chris Delaney
Chris Delaney, our Managing Director, has kicked off 2024 in grand style by receiving a triple nomination at this year’s The Business Desk Leadership Awards.
Chris has been shortlisted in three categories at the leadership awards for Transformational Leader, Green Leader and Leader of a Business with 100+ employees. The nominations follow a double nomination at the end of last year for Green Building Renewables in the 2024 Yorkshire Business Awards.
Table of Contents
The Yorkshire Leadership Awards
TheBusinessDesk.com created the Yorkshire Leadership Awards to celebrate the people who are role models within their organisations and raise the bar for their competitors. It says that “the winners will show the qualities of extraordinary leadership and be able to demonstrate the positive impact this has had.” The Leadership Awards offer a great opportunity to recognise and showcase the achievements and success of businesses in the region.
Chris competes across the three categories against fourteen other business leaders from across the region (four other nominees in each category). Chris is the only leader to be nominated in three categories, which is an incredible achievement.
TheBusinessDesk.com facilitates the awards, but regional business leaders independently judge them. This year’s judges are Nicky Chance-Thompson, CEO of Halifax’s The Piece Hall; Taryn Edge – 2019 Winner and Head of Resource Solutions at National Training Academy, Sheffield; Dan Fell, CEO at Doncaster Chamber; and Karl Oxford, Director at African and Caribbean Business Ventures.
On his achievement, Chris said, “It’s a real honour to receive three nominations at this year’s Leadership Awards. Whilst it is my name listed, this is a team accomplishment. Any leader is only as successful as the people whom they have the good fortune of leading.
“At Green Building Renewables, I am extremely fortunate to be the figurehead for an incredible team of people. We have a team of highly accomplished experts who are passionate and dedicated to renewable technology and helping people to lead more sustainable lives. I value every working day engaging and working with our team.”
The award ceremony occurs on March 21st at The Queens Hotel, Leeds.
Chris has been nominated in the transformational and green leader categories at the awards ceremony. However, at Green Building Renewables, we don’t believe you have to be Managing Director to be a transformational green leader; anyone can become one.
Here are our top ten attributes of what we think makes a transformational green leader:
Top Ten attributes of Good Green Transformational Leadership?
- Be Passionate and Committed to Sustainability: A transformational green leader must possess a genuine passion for sustainability and environmental stewardship. This passion must serve as the driving force behind their commitment to creating positive change and influencing others to adopt green practices like renewable technologies
- Holistic Understanding of Environmental Issues: A Good understanding of the various environmental challenges we face and their interconnectedness will help any green leader. This includes how climate change, biodiversity, pollution, and resource depletion are connected.
- Innovative Thinking and Vision: Transformational green leaders are forward-thinking and possess a vision for a sustainable future. Embracing innovation and fostering creative solutions to environmental problems is crucial for leading meaningful change. Moving away from ‘business as usual’ attitudes and adopting new solutions to existing problems is paramount – like powering your home with renewable energy instead of fossil fuels.
- Effective Communication Skills: Communication is key to inspiring and mobilising others. A good leader must articulate the importance of sustainability compellingly, conveying complex environmental issues in a way that resonates with people positively and not negatively.
- Be Willing to Collaborate: Collaboration is essential to any leader, particularly for environmental challenges. A transformational green leader fosters collaboration within and beyond their organisation, working with others to achieve common goals.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Given the rapidly evolving nature of environmental issues, leaders must be committed to continuous learning. Staying informed about new developments in sustainability, technology, and policy ensures leaders remain effective and adaptable.
- Courage to Challenge the Status Quo: Transformational leaders are unafraid to challenge existing norms and practices. They possess the courage to advocate for alternatives, even in the face of resistance, and are willing to take calculated risks to drive positive change.
- Lead by Example: A leader’s actions speak louder than words. Demonstrating personal commitment to green practices, whether in lifestyle or business decisions, sets a powerful example and reinforces the leader’s credibility.
- Strategic Thinking and Planning: A transformational green leader thinks strategically and formulates long-term plans that integrate sustainability into what they do. This involves setting clear goals, measuring progress, and adjusting strategies.
- Empower and Inspire Others: True leadership involves empowering others to contribute. A Transformational green leader inspires their team, colleagues, and the community to actively participate in sustainability initiatives actively, fostering a collective sense of responsibility and impact.